- Board-Certified Ophthalmologist
- B.S. in Biology, University of California Irvine
- MD, Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
- Ophthalmology Residency, University of Texas Medical Branch
- Fellowship, UCLA/Stein Eye Institute
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- California Eye Physicians Association
- Orange County Society of Ophthalmology
- Certifications, Appointments and Achievements
- Assistant Clinical Professor, David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA
- Section Lead Editor, Eyewiki.com, Cataract Section
- Attending Ophthalmologist, Veterans Administration, West LA
- Certified in LenSx and Catalys Femtosecond Laser Cataract Platforms
- Certified in ORA System
- Certified in multiple Micro Invasive Glaucoma Surgery Devices, including iStent and Hydrus
- Certified in injectable cosmetics including Botox
- Teaching faculty for regional cataract surgery courses
- Lecturer at local and national academic meetings
Dr. Patel believes in keeping up to date with the latest technologies to benefit her patients. She was one of the first female surgeons in the Los Angeles area certified on two different femtosecond laser cataract systems, which offer consistency and precision in challenging cataract cases. Experienced in advanced cataract technology and different intra-ocular lens options, she has a passion for treating presbyopia during cataract surgery for patients who choose to reduce their dependence on spectacles due to their lifestyle. She can also perform surgery to correct astigmatism at the time of cataract surgery to improve patients’ distance vision. Additionally, Dr. Patel is certified in intraoperative aberrometry, a technology used to measure the optical power of the eye during the actual surgical procedure. This technology has been found to improve outcomes in post LASIK eyes and eyes with astigmatism undergoing cataract surgery. She is also trained to offer cosmetic laser treatments and injectables, such as dermal fillers and cosmetic Botox.
Dr. Patel’s experience goes beyond her clinical expertise, she also works as an educator for other surgeons. She is the Section Lead Editor of EyeWiki, a resource sponsored by the American Academy of Ophthalmology. Twice yearly, she serves as faculty among other well-regarded educators to teach cataract surgery courses for beginning and advanced ophthalmic residents from UCLA, USC, UCI, UCSD and Loma Linda. She is a former President of the Los Angeles Society of Ophthalmology.
Dr. Patel earned her undergraduate degree in Biology from U.C. Irvine. She received her medical doctorate from Loyola University of Chicago Stritch School of Medicine. She completed her ophthalmology residency at the University of Texas Medical Branch. She completed her Fellowship training under Kevin Miller, MD at Jules Stein Eye Institute, UCLA.
For patients who have a question about their vision and what can be done to improve their visual function and range, please make an appointment with Dr. Patel to discuss your goals and options.